Wednesday, November 17, 2010

how do i make a difficult moral decision (second version)

Utilitarianism is moral philosophy often referred to as consequentialism due to the fact that it focuses on the consequence of actions. Utility is interpreted in many ways but it doesn't mean useful, it means happiness, pleasure and well being.  According to the philosopher who created the idea of utilitarianism, Jeremy Bentham, a good choice ends in the greatest pleasure for the greatest amount of people. Liberalism is the other philosophical idea of deciding whether something is moral or not, this idea was created by John Stuart Mill. Liberalism focuses on the importance of individual liberty and equal rights for everyone, this idea supports human rights. So now it is time for the questions, am I a utilitarian or a liberalist when making decisions? And would I rather be a sad socrates or a happy pig? 

When faced with a difficult decision, most people would like to say they try to do what's best for everybody, they claim to take a utilitarianism approach but really, most people are selfish. Most people will always do what is best for themselves in the end and not concern themselves with the needs of other people. Although I do take other people's well being into consideration when contemplating what to do, I will not make a decision that will have negative results for myself to make other people happy. Sure if it is a small thing I will try to do what is best for other and suffer the consequences but when it comes down to it, when making a difficult moral decision I will do what is best for me even if it is not best for the majority of people. I am a strong believer in the importance of human rights and The Charter of Human Rights so when deciding whether something is a moral choice, I will always rely on human freedom and rights to guide my decisions. For these reason, I am a liberalist. 


Although being a sad socrates seems to be the most common response when asked whether people would rather be a sad socrates or a happy pig, I must disagree, I would rather be a happy pig. After weighing out the pros and cons of each, I try to make it simple for myself, a happy pig does not know what it's like to wonder and have all the knowledge socrates so he doesn't know the difference, the pig is just happy. Although Socrates is knowledgable, this comes with sadness. In the end, it comes down to would you like to be simple and happy or complicated and sad? For me it is a simple choice, I would rather be a happy pig. The reason his is relevant to the topic of this post is because when making a moral decision, I go for the simple answer and don't go too complex into it. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home